August 4, 2022

I Got Catfished by a Job Posting

I Got Catfished by a Job Posting
Like many people today, I am applying for new positions mainly online. After submitting an application, a recruiter reached out to me for an interview.

As always, I researched the company. It was a legitimate company with a lot of available information. I found the name of the HR representative who initially contacted me and was listed as an employee on the company’s LinkedIn page. The email matched the company as well as the recruiter on LinkedIn. The interview was set to take place on Microsoft Teams.

The Day of the Interview Arrived
I joined the interview, but noticed immediately, the recruiter’s camera was not on. Before I could react, the recruiter started asking me questions through Teams messaging. Unusual, I thought, as I had assumed it would be a video interview, but I wrote it off. I thought that since it was for a virtual customer-facing position, they wanted to ensure that the candidate had strong written communication skills and could answer quickly in written form.

The Interview Questions
They were what you would expect to hear during an interview. “Tell us about a time you had to handle a difficult situation.” “Is there a time when things didn’t go as expected and how did you handle it?” “What are your 5-year goals?” Nothing out of the ordinary.

The only thing that stood out during the interview, was the quoted pay rate. It was well above average. I assumed it was a typo and thought I would ask for clarification in the next round of interviews.

The Follow Up Thank You
The next day, I sent a thank you message to the recruiter on LinkedIn. His response… you and I did not have a meeting yesterday.” I was shocked! He continued to tell me that others have reached out with the same issue. Someone is trying to get personal information from those who are seeking employment.

Awareness
I feel lucky that they never asked for and I never gave any personal information such as my social security number or bank information. Unemployment is already full of anxiety and uncertainty. Adding the additional burden of having your identity or money stolen just adds an undue burden.

If you are a job seeker, be aware of what personal information you are sharing. Legitimate recruiters will not ask for your social security number or bank information until after you have been hired. Be sure to do your research and vet each company thoroughly. Be safe out there, fellow workers!

If something doesn’t feel right, trust your gut, and connect with the Career and Professional Development office at Claremont Graduate University. They are ready to help and support you as you navigate your career. Michelle Ponce was a help and support to me!

Here is a great article from the National Association of Colleges and Employers. This is just a starting point to help.

Margo Welsh ’20
MA, Psychology
CGU Alumni Association Board Member

Categories

Share