The SLDL Office is the only office authorized to advise students on an F-1 student visa or J-1 exchange visitor visa at CGU. Students who join CGU on nonimmigrant visas other than F-1 and J-1 are supported by SLDL, however, are also referred to immigration attorneys for advice (i.e. H1-B or L-2 visas).
Claremont Graduate University is required to report information on “reportable events” that affect your immigrant status. These events include but are not limited to:
- Registration/ enrollment each school term
- Leaves of absence, suspensions, or withdrawals from CGU
- Authorized and unauthorized drops below a “full course of study”
- Resumption of a “full course of study” after an authorized drop
- Employment off-campus
- F-2 dependent information
- U.S. residential address changes
- Completion/ termination of studies
- Changes in major, program of study, degree, completion date, etc.
- School or program transfer
- Change of degree or program
- Work authorization
- Travel restrictions and endorsements
- Program extensions
- Adding dependents
- Transfer SEVIS record
- Understanding SEVIS regulations
At this time, the official DSOs and RO/AROs at CGU work in the SLDL Office.
International students who study in the United States are required to follow specific rules pertaining to their visa. F-1 students should follow regulations code 8 CFR 214.2(f) for Academic and Language Students. To review these regulations, please visit the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) website at https://www.ice.gov/sevis/schools.
The Department of State (DOS) manages the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. There are specific regulations for students and scholars who enter the United States on a J-1 visa. For more information, visit their website at https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/.
STUDY IN THE STATES
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) manages the Study in the States website to provide resources and guidance for international students studying in the United States on an F-1 or M-1 visa. For more information, visit their website at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students.