International students may be eligible for tax identification numbers like the social security number (SSN) or individual tax identification number (ITIN). Select the dropdown menus below to learn more about the eligibility and application process to receive an SSN or ITIN.
- Complete the SS-5 application
- Valid Passport
- Most recent I-20 or DS-2019
- A copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
- Proof of employment eligibility (job offer letter)
- EAD card (only for those on OPT or economic hardship work authorization)
- Support Letter from SLDL
To receive the support letter from SLDL, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a copy of your offer letter. The offer letter should be on official letterhead, and include the student name, position title, name of company, supervisors name, and start date.
Note: You are able to begin paid employment while your SSN application is pending by providing the SSN application receipt to your employer. For more information, visit the Social Security Administration website.
- Form W-7
- A copy of passport
- A copy of I-20 or DS-2019
For more information on who is eligible and where to submit your application materials, please review the W-7 Instructions page.