November 5, 2020

Thank you to our Veterans!

My grandfather was a military man. He fudged his age and enlisted young. Poor, Irish, relatively uneducated, and living in the coal towns of Pennsylvania, the military provided my grandfather with learning opportunities and a career path that benefitted his offspring, my generation, and my children’s generation. From a personal perspective, we owe a lot to the military and the growth opportunities it provided my grandfather. Eventually the military led my grandfather to Hawaii just prior to WWII and that is where he finished his career as the Provost Marshall at Hickam Air Force Base. He stayed in Hawaii and that is where my roots are. It is from my grandfather that I learned to be humbled by the service of military personnel. Thank you for upholding the ideals of the USA and democracy.

You are not alone… ever! We are all with you, grateful for you and want you to know that you need only ask and we will do what we can to show how much we appreciate you (and your family’s) sacrifice for the safety of our country, world … planet!!

– Delacey Ganley

You are not alone… ever! We are all with you, grateful for you and want you to know that you need only ask and we will do what we can to show how much we appreciate you (and your family’s) sacrifice for the safety of our country, world … planet!!  
Be well, Be Kind to yourself and please! Be Safe! 

– Dr. Arlette Poland

To all veterans, living and deceased, thank you for your service and sacrifices so that we can live in a free country. To my son, Dmitri Davis, thank you for your service in the United States Air Force. Thank you for your sacrifice, your bravery, and the example you set for us all, especially your brothers and sister! 

– Regina McConnell

Thank you to all our veterans for their selflessness and service! I am grateful to you for giving up so much to serve and I thank you for the example you set for others.  

– Heather Case

I would like to thank ALL CGU Veterans and all of those linked to our community. Your service and honor is in our hearts forever. Thank you. 

– Maggie Tupman

I would just like to express my sincere respect and gratitude for your service to our country.  Thank you so much for being part of what makes our country safe and secure.  You are appreciated and deserve to thrive.  I’m glad you are part of my CGU family. 🙂  

– Heidi J Kellam

Thank you for serving our country to preserve the freedom of all people in our country. It certainly makes me proud to be a citizen of the United States of America, and it is very unifying to think that servicewomen and men sacrifice for America: not just black Americans or poor just white or Protestant. I love this country and I salute those of you who serve. It would be the greatest tribute to our veterans if CGU would exchange a day off of school for Cesar Chavez day for Veterans Day. 

– Mitch Nelson

Dear CGU veterans,

I want to express my sincerest gratitude to you for your service to this country. This thanks extends beyond just a day, as your time and commitment deserves more than that. As the niece of a Vietnam veteran and granddaughter of a World War II veteran, I am forever appreciative of individuals who have served in the armed forces. Thank you for your time, sacrifice, and love.

Sincerely,
Madeleine Kiuttu

As a former army captain, I would like to thank all of my fellow veterans who faithfully served our country and wish them a happy Veterans Day.

– Anthony Allmond

Happy Veterans Day to our students who have served as well as their family members who support them. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your dedication and sacrifice for all of us. We can only hope to prove ourselves worthy of what you do and have done through your service.

– Sarah Jaques-Ross

To All Veterans in every Branch: 
Thank you for placing your life on the line so I can live mine. Thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedom, not just today but everyday. 

– Rosie Ruiz

I want to share my sincerest gratitude to all of the veterans at CGU! Thank you for your service to your country – we honor your commitment to our nation and to the ideals we hold dear. 

– Jakeob Beron

On this Veterans Day, we honor the men and women who served our country. Our country’s greatness is built on the foundation of your courage and sacrifice. I am proud to have family and friends that have served. Thank you!  May God forever bless our servicemen and women. 

– Misti Hatfield

Thank you so much for serving our country, for your dedication and sacrifices. 
Veterans are my heroes! 

– Alejandra Gaytan

Veteran Spotlight: Thank you for your service!

Joel Peterson, US Navy 1986-2001, Higher Education Leadership PhD student

I served on active duty 1986 – 1993 and in the Navy Reserves 1993 – 2001.  While on active duty, I was homeported at Naval Station Yokosuka, Japan where I served four years on sea duty: two years on the aircraft carrier, USS Midway (CV 41), and two years on the destroyer, USS Oldendorf (DD 972).  I did multiple deployments to the Western Pacific, North Pacific, South Pacific, Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, and Persian Gulf. I participated in the largest naval convoy operations since WWII, Operation Ernest Will, escorting Kuwati tankers through the Persian Gulf and Straight of Hormuz during the Iran-Iraq war.  Each year of sea duty, I spent over 300 days deployed underway at sea; my last year was 331 days at sea on a destroyer.

John Nelson, US Navy Desert Storm, CGU Alum ’03
Andre Spicer, US Marine Corps 1988-1996, Urban Leadership Program PhD Student

Andre Spicer, a career educator of 24 years has had the honor of serving children and families as a teacher, dean, EL coordinator, principal and instructional director. Before becoming an educator, Andre served in the United States Marine Corps (1988-1992). A veteran of the Persian Gulf War, Andre uses many of the leadership qualities that he learned serving alongside some of the world’s finest men and women. Andre’s experiences in the Marine Corps afforded him opportunities to experience many different cultures making him a more empathetic human being.

Mr. Spicer also served proudly as the president of the Council of Black Administrators for LAUSD from 2014-2016. Andre attended California State University Long Beach to obtain a BA in History and California Teaching Credential. Today, Andre is a PhD student at Claremont Graduate University in the Urban Leadership program where he is engaged in coursework to sharpen his tools as an educational urban leader.

Andre Spicer currently serves as the Administrator for the Access, Equity and Acceleration Unit within the Division of Instruction in Los Angeles Unified School District. Andre’s current responsibilities include the overseeing of the Academic English Mastery Program, Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports Framework, UCLA-LAUSD Collaborative and the Gifted Network for African American Students and Families for the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Zachary Ward, US Army airborne paralegal paratrooper, HR Management Program

My name is Zachary Ward and I am a current graduate student in the human resource management program. I served in the United States Army for five years as an airborne paralegal paratrooper. My duty stations included Kuwait, Italy, and Washington State. Thank you for putting together a program to celebrate military members!

Timothy Steven Cormier, Master’s Student at CGU (IST – Cybersecurity), United States Air Force
Jose Ramirez, Marine Corps, Drucker MBA student

I enlisted in the United States Marines in December 2000 as an Infantry Rifleman (0311). I was stationed in Camp Pendleton, CA, with 3rd Battalion 5th Marines (Dark Horse Unit) with Lima Company. During my time of service, I participated in several deployments. One of my most memorable is during the 2003 Invasion of Iraq (Iraqi Freedom). During this time, we had to push ourselves physically and put our training to the test. We could not shower for the first three months because the water was scarce, and for weeks we would sleep in the middle of the desert between the border of Iraq and Kuwait in a “fighting hole.” to protect ourselves in case of an attack. During this time, I appreciated the tough mental training my leaders would give us. It prepared us mentally to deal with what we had to see and deal with during the war. We also learned the value of teamwork and the importance of counting on one another in whatever situation presented itself.

This is a picture of me in 2003 during the Iraq invasion after a fire fight the previous night in Ramadi.

Lucy Manalo
MFA 2020
I served in the Air Force from 92-96 during the desert shield/desert storm era.   I was a welder and a machinist.  I used my old art skills to create my artwork for my final show.
Categories

Share