“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

CGU is an approved institution for veterans to utilize their educational benefits. As a veteran you are entitled to certain benefits under the various Veterans Administration programs.

Veteran Resident Tuition Policy

Active-duty personnel and military veterans are charged the standard tuition rate applicable to their degree. No CGU student who is not a resident of California is assessed any additional out-of-state tuition or fees.

Program Eligibility Process

  • Request a letter of eligibility from your VA representative and submit this letter to the Registrar’s Office (student.records@cgu.edu)
  • Enroll in a degree- or certificate-seeking program.*
  • Take all courses for credit. If repeating a course or taking a course with no credits, the veteran must notify the CGU Certifying Official.
  • Request certification after registering for courses each semester through our VA Certifying Official (Registrar’s Office at student.records@cgu.edu).

Yellow Ribbon Benefit Information
GI Bill® Comparison Tool

*The following programs are currently not eligible for new students who wish to use Chapter 33, Chapter 30, or Chapter 1606 benefits:

  • MA in Religion and American Politics
  • MA in International Studies
  • MA in Art Business and Fine Art
  • MS in Botany
  • PhD in Botany

VA Forms & Applications


All VA students must file an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs Western Region Office, Muskogee, OK. Students who have not previously received VA benefits must file an original application (veterans VAF 22-1990; dependents VAF 22-5490). Students who have received VA benefits in the past must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (veterans VAF 22-1995; dependents VAF 22-5495)

If an original application is needed do one of the following:

  • Submit an application online using this link: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
  • Print the signature page and mail to Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888.
  • If you choose to apply using a hard copy application, submit it to the CGU Certifying Official who will process it and mail it to the VA Regional Office where it will be certified.

Education Programs

Eligibility criteria and benefits for veterans vary. Listed below are various education programs or chapters that veterans may be eligible for from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA).

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty
Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Yellow Ribbon Program
Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)
Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

General and detailed descriptions of each program are online at https://www.va.gov/education/ or the toll-free education number 1.888.442.4551 (1.888.GI Bill 1)

For questions or information regarding eligibility to receive VA education benefits or for current pay rates, please contact the Dept. of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the VA website at https://www.va.gov/education/.