Establishing the Organization
The Claremont Graduate University Advocates for Survivors of Sexual Violence (CGU Advocates) organization was established in 2017 when a group of CGU students discovered there was a lack of resources available for graduate students who are survivors of sexual violence. The founding members of the CGU Advocates recognized that this organization was necessary for providing mental health, legal, and rape crisis advocacy information for students who may wish to speak with someone about resources prior to or in place of reporting or disclosing to authorities. We are committed to serving all graduate students of The Claremont Colleges regardless of institutional affiliation. CGU Advocates aim to provide a private, safe, tolerant, and supportive environment for survivors of sexual violence and to prevent sexual violence in our society.
The Claremont Graduate University Advocates for Survivors of Sexual Violence (CGU Advocates) are dedicated to providing exemplary support and services for graduate students within The Claremont Colleges who are survivors of sexual violence. CGU Advocates aim to promote a compassionate and safe environment for survivors to privately speak with a CGU Advocate and to obtain appropriate resources. In addition to assisting survivors of such violence, CGU Advocates strive to foster a campus environment that effectively educates, collaborates, and cooperates with all stakeholders to prevent and eliminate sexual violence in our diverse community.
1. Provide exceptional services for graduate students of The Claremont Colleges who are sexual violence survivors
2. Work with university administrators, staff, faculty, and students to ensure that the organization provides the necessary services to the student population that are within university policies and practices
3. Be a resource for students who may have questions or concerns about what they should do or are in need of a support system, and provide guidance for campus and law enforcement reporting options
4. Establish an organization that provides similar services as the other advocates groups, but focus on serving graduate students
5. Develop educational programming for the university in order to prevent sexual violence and to promote a culture of consent