Library Fines

Past Due Library fines will be charged to the students’ account. These library fines must be paid in full before the student will be able to continue checking out books. If the student returns the overdue book(s) to the library, the replacement cost of each book will be waived. However, the student will still be responsible for a nominal per book maintenance fee.

When a payment is not received by close of business in the Student Accounts Office by the designated due date, the account is considered delinquent. An account that becomes delinquent is subject to a monthly penalty fee of 1.5% of the remaining total balance, and a student’s registration may be cancelled until such time as the amount due and the penalty fees are paid.  No allowance is made for financial aid applications in process. In addition, loan disbursements for a future award year cannot be used to reduce a student account balance in a current (or past) award year.

Students whose account is not considered current are not eligible to register, receive credential recommendations, or career services.  Accounts must be paid in full before a student can receive their diploma.  This applies equally to students who fail to repay, on or before established dates, loans granted or guaranteed by or through Claremont Graduate University, or to pay fees such as those incurred for: graduate housing, student health services, campus security, and library fines.

Should your account become severely delinquent, it will be sent to our off campus collection agency.  If your account is sent to collections, you will be considered a “cash only” student upon your return to CGU.  A cash only student must pay via cash, credit card, cashier’s check, money order, or electronic funds transfer before any services (register, add a class, receive a diploma, etc.) are rendered.

Please note that until your student account is settled, you will not be able to receive a diploma nor will you be able to register for classes.  In the event that your registration lapses for more than one semester, you will need to apply for reinstatement in order to return to the University.