The SLDL Office is the only office authorized to advise students on an F-1 student visa or J-1 exchange visitor visa at CGU. Students who join CGU on nonimmigrant visas other than F-1 and J-1 are supported by SLDL, however, are also referred to immigration attorneys for advice (i.e. H1-B or L-2 visas).
For more information, email email@example.com or schedule an appointment.
SEVIS is a web-based system managed by the Department of Homeland Security. It tracks information for all international students on a J-1 and F-1 visa. SEVIS generates the Form I-20 and DS-2019, and provides the SEVIS record number.
Claremont Graduate University is required to report information on “reportable events” that affect your immigrant status. These events include but are not limited to:
- Registration/ enrollment each school term
- Leaves of absence, suspensions, or withdrawals from CGU
- Authorized and unauthorized drops below a “full course of study”
- Resumption of a “full course of study” after an authorized drop
- Employment off-campus
- F-2 dependent information
- U.S. residential address changes
- Completion/ termination of studies
- Changes in major, program of study, degree, completion date, etc.
- School or program transfer
CGU is required by law to designate university officials to serve as F-1 and J-1 international advisors. These advisors are required to update the SEVIS records for all F-1 and J-1 students and scholars. F-1 advisors are called Designated School Officials (DSO). J-1 advisors are called Responsible Officers or Alternate Responsible Officers (RO/ARO). Common topics to discuss and report to your DSO or RO/ARO are the following:
- Change of degree or program
- Work authorization
- Travel restrictions and endorsements
- Program extensions
- Adding dependents
- Transfer SEVIS record
- Understanding SEVIS regulations
At this time, the official DSOs and RO/AROs at CGU work in the SLDL Office.