The Claremont Colleges only invites Exchange Visitors to serve as Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors or University Students (degree seeking and non-degree). For more information on these specific categories, visit the Exchange Visitor Program website. Below are the general requirements for J-1 scholars (Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors) and J-1 students (university students). 

J-1 Scholars

To be eligible to lecture, teach, or research at the Claremont Colleges, an Exchange Visitor must hold a similar position in their home country (Professor, Researcher, Post-Doc, etc). J-1 scholars must also have at least a Bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience in the field of study. All J-1 scholars must be proficient in the English language. J-1 scholars can prove their proficiency through submission of their IELTS/TOEFL score report, or through an interview with the academic department. 

J-1 Students

To be eligible to study at the Claremont Colleges, an Exchange Visitor must be admitted directly into an academic program and meet the admission requirements for the host campus. J-1 students must also show proof of funding that is at least primarily covered (at least 51%) through sponsorship other than personal or family funds.