It is the responsibility of the student to understand the regulations for their student visa (F) status. We encourage all F-1 students to review the sections on this page to maintain your visa status.
- Keep a valid passport – it should be valid for a minimum of 6 months into the future.
- Provide your local address to SLDL – report any change in your address within 10 days. You must report your address change to SLDL and update your student portal (Peoplesoft).
- Maintain full-time enrollment. F-1 students are required to enroll full-time in courses each fall and spring semester.
- Ensure your I-20 is valid at all times (check program end date). If you need more time to complete your program, apply for an extension before the end date listed on your I-20. Other changes that require a SEVIS record update are a change of degree program, degree level, legal name, and/or source of funding. Review the enrollment section for more information.
- Obtain a travel signature from an SLDL advisor for travel outside the U.S. or if you will apply for a new visa before reentering the U.S. Travel signatures (or endorsements) for F-1 students are valid for one year. Review the travel and entry section for more information
- Only engage in employment that is authorized. For F-1 students, review the employment section to learn about the differences between on-campus employment, curricular practical training, off-campus employment for economic hardship, and optional practical training. F-1 students must receive approval from the SLDL staff before beginning or continuing any employment or practical training opportunities off-campus.
- Don’t overstay your grace period. F-1 students receive a 60 day grace period at the end of the F-1 program to remain in the U.S. The grace period ends when you depart from the United States, if earlier than the 60 days.
- When in doubt, contact an SLDL advisor for clarification. The SLDL advisors serve as the campus Designated School Officials, and are trained in F-1 regulations. Students can email an SLDL advisor or schedule an appointment to address their questions or concerns.