Full-time enrollment at CGU is considered 8 units or more of credit-bearing coursework. Audited courses do not count towards full-time enrollment. F-1 students are required to enroll full-time in courses each fall and spring semester. Summer is an optional term unless the first term in F-1 status is during the summer term, in which case, 8 units is required the first summer term. Students enrolled in either continuous registration (course 400) or doctoral study (course 499) are considered to be enrolled full-time. Please note that enrollment in the doctoral study course and enrollment in a doctorate degree program are not the same.
Active F-1 students are not permitted to count online classes toward a full course of study in excess of the regulatory limits stated in 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(i)(G) and 8 CFR 214.2(m)(9)(v). Students are advised to limit online class enrollment to one online class towards their 8 unit full-time load. All other units counting towards the 8 unit full-time load must be in-person or hybrid with an on-campus component.
Requests for a Reduced Course Load should be submitted to the SLDL Office at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the add/drop deadline of the semester requested. Students can submit their documents for processing to email@example.com, or schedule an appointment with an SLDL advisor. Below are the approved reasons for an RCL:
- Initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Initial difficulty with the English language
- Unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods
- Improper course level placement
Approval of an RCL for academic difficulties are granted once per degree level. Students approved for an RCL for academic difficulties during their first term must begin a full course of study at the next offered term. A reduced course load for academic difficulties must consist of at least 4 semester units enrolled at CGU.
To Complete Course of Study In the Current Term:
If fewer than 8 units are needed to complete the course of study in your final semester of coursework, an SLDL advisor can approve a reduced course load.
Illness or Medical Condition:
Students who receive medical approval to take a reduced course load must provide medical documentation each required semester to an SLDL advisor from a licensed:
- Medical Doctor
- Doctor of Osteopathy
- Clinical Psychologist
Reduced course loads for medical purposes may be approved for no more than 12 months per degree level.
To request an extension, submit the following documents to the SLDL Office:
- Complete the SEVIS Record Extension Form. A signature of approval from your academic advisor and program coordinator is required.
- Review the Affidavit of Financial Support or cost of attendance calculator to determine the amount of funding required. Financial statements are required to provide evidence that you can afford the cost of attendance for 12 months.
- Be mindful of CGU’s limits on time to degree and follow any needed steps for university approval. Keep in mind, extensions of your SEVIS record do not apply to extensions for your CGU student status.
Requests for a SEVIS record extension should be submitted to the SLDL Office at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the SEVIS end date listed on your I-20. Students can submit their documents for processing to firstname.lastname@example.org, or schedule an appointment with an SLDL advisor.