Mobile devices, particularly smartphones and tablets, are becoming the preferred technology device for the majority of users. According to to a recent Horizon Report published by the New Media Consortium “Mobile devices continue to evolve, but it is the increased access to affordable and reliable networks that is driving this technology now. Mobiles are capable computing devices in their own right — and they are increasingly a user’s first choice for Internet access”. This trend will continue for the foreseeable future and dramatically influence technology to enhance teaching and learning. To better understand and prepare for this phenomena, the following resources and websites are provided.
- 7 Things You Should Know About…Mobile Apps for Learning – Educause “7 Things Series” focused upon the use of mobile technologies to enhance teaching and learning
- Mobile Learning: Context and Prospects – Educause Learning Initiative (ELI) report from Focus Session on mobile learning
- Abilene Christian University 2009-2010 Mobile Learning Report – ACU conducted a two-year study with faculty, staff, and students on the use of mobile technology to enhance teaching and learning
- Educause Mobile Computing Resources – A growing collection of mobile technology resources maintained by Educause
- Mobile Computing: A 5-Day Spring – Resources available from a free weeklong online opportunity regarding mobile computing
- University of San Francisco iPad Pilot
- Pepperdine University iPad Research Study